Friday, May 1, 2009

Epiphany....


We have all been influenced by our other half's.  It is just inevitable that we end up picking up some traits from them, after all they are usually the one that you spend the most time with.  

My husband is a glorified geek. The first time I saw his room, he had anime posters covering his walls. (I still dated him, although I was seriously worried about what else he might be into.)  I soon learned that he not only loved anime (oh for those people who don't know what that is, it is Japanese Animation/cartoons), he LOVED comic books (and hopes to draw comic books one day). While he didn't collect as many as he once did, he knew all about them. 

I have sat through numerous comic-book movies with him, including all of the Spidermans, Superman Returns, Batmans (both newer movies), Ironman, Hellboys (one and two), The Hulks,  Xmen's, and any other one that has come out in the 6 years we have been together. I have sat through countless conversations about Batman's 'cool' new toys... how Spiderman really didn't have the web coming from his hands (but rather from a cool invention he had created, after all he is a scientist)... how they totally did the Phoenix wrong in the last X-men.  

Before tonight, I have never really thought of myself as a geek. I didn't even consider myself a geek when I beat a comic book based video game (Marvel Alliance).  I think I have been in geek-denial all these years, or maybe I hadn't fully come into my own as a true geek until tonight.  

After watching X-Men Origins, Wolverine, I have never been so mad at a movie for ruining a great character. It isn't Wolvie, but another character who is smart, sarcastic and seems to be the long lost brother I didn't know I had. All the way driving home, I just kept saying how I was so mad that they had ruined such a great character.  And then it dawned on me, I am so mad only because I care.  And that was the epiphany.... I, Molly T. Soderquist, is a geek (or is it geek-ette, there aren't many females in this group, I fear).   From this day forth, I will happily listen to all the conversations about Tony Stark and his alcoholism, and how S.H.I.E.L.D is going to create such a great band of superheros,  and how Jean Grey and Cyclops have a child, named Cable.  Thank you, X-Men Origins movie for enlightening me and helping come to grips with my inner geek! 

2 comments:

Mandy said...

I think we all have a little bit of "geek" in us somewhere!

Melissa Joy said...

Oh, too funny.. One can only be truely happy when they accept themselves in their entirety (geek and all)! :)