Friday, March 25, 2011

Mother time

Pringle Face

Since all this crap, I mean stuff with my mother started, I have started to think about all the 'lol' moments. I am sure I have said this before, but she is my best friend. We talk at least 3 times a day. (some days more.) My husband like to call us Lucy and Ethel because whenever we hang out we get into trouble. There have been many times I have laughed so hard I have cried around her. And while we have had our share of arguments and annoying moments, the funny times easily outnumber the bad times.

There was the time that we shoved a queen size quilt (that was at least an inch thick), into the washing machine. It was a tight squeeze, but we MADE it fit! Well, what a surprise when the washing machine started smoking (no fire, thank God.) and making a horrible noise. By this time, my dad, who is the fix-it man was home and was the first one to the washer. Once he yanked the quilt out of the machine, he proceeded to start repairing it (burned out belt). To say he was not happy about the situation would be a little bit of an understatement. For the rest of the night, he proceeded to walk around the house calling my mother "Stupid Woman" and me "Stupid Girl". But he would only call us those names when he would catch a glimpse of us. And he would only say it under his breathe. Even though we knew we were in trouble, we were laughing hysterically when we were driving to the laundromat to finish washing the blanket. And still to this day, if we do anything bad my dad will still call us those names, but they definitely don't hold as much power because it always makes me giggle and think of the over-sized quilt we SHOVED into my parents tiny washing machine.
Another time we were driving on one of our many trips to Montana, when my dad decided to take a nap and let my mom pilot the motor home. She was usually a good driver, but only drove the straight parts that had no real challenges in them. On our family road trips, we would stock up on our favorite foods (candy, nilla wafers, twizzlers) and then drive, play music and have some great laughs along the way. My mom hopped in the drivers seat, I jumped in the passenger seat and we were off. We were singing (I remember singing to the Camelot soundtrack, but I could be wrong) and eating our candy. I accidentally dropped a bag of candy and so my mom, being the helpful lady she is, reached down with me to grab it. When we both looked up, the motor home was headed to the side of the road and was riding on those lovely rumble strips. She got us headed in the right direction again with a quick wheel jerk and we started laughing. The laughter was quickly interrupted by my dad who was jostled off the bed in the back during our antics. You would think he would learn by now that he can not yell at us because all we do is laugh at him and his lecture is lost on us. After that my dad was surprisingly awake and decided to drive the rest of the way himself.
I love to think back on all the times we have laughed at one another. (And there are quite a few. The pictures have nothing to do with the post but they are funny ones of her that made me laugh when I was picking them.) So to my dear Mother, when you are having a 'bad' day please bookmark this page and look at it because I know I will be. (And yes, you can call me, so I can walk you through how to bookmark a page on your ipad!) :) Hahahahahaha!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

What a sweet, sweet post. I love to think back on the great times I've had with my mom and I hope my kids will have happy times with me to remember as well.